Using Managed Print Services (MPS) is a cost-effective way to gain control over overall printing expenses, reduce waste, and improve the efficiency and productivity of employees. To implement MPS, a company contracts with a provider that has expertise in everything involved in printing. This service provider manages the entire process, which includes:
- Equipment — photocopiers, fax machines, printers,
- Supplies — toner, inkjet cartridges, paper
The MPS provider first surveys and analyzes the existing printing environment to establish benchmarks for printing needs and to uncover wasteful practices and inefficiencies. Then, the provider makes recommendations for adjustments that will create improvements when implementing the new program. The adjustments may include things like replacing outdated, inefficient equipment with newer, efficient models and re-positioning equipment to different locations to improve workflow. It is also important to restrict wasteful printing, which is routinely done by employees.
Managed Print Services (MPS) Compared to Other Solutions
A managed program for print services outsources the responsibility for the entire print environment to the provider for improved efficiency. If there is a problem, they fix it. If there is some need for help, they provide help. Cost control, monitoring, and system security are improved.
Going to a print shop to place and retrieve print orders wastes staff time for travel and costs more. Buying and maintaining equipment means the business is negatively impacted when equipment breaks downs. Usually, there is a lack of cost controls and security. Wasteful printing is a common employee behavior that runs rampant if not managed.
Companies should consider implementing an MPS program if they worry about being in compliance with data security rules and want to improve security with new document control capabilities. These include device authentication, using encryption for stored documents, and having strict authorization requirements for document retrieval and document release from a printer. These improved security measures include having a full audit trail that tracks use and users for both resource management and document control.
Other Benefits of Managed Print Services (MPS)
Many other benefits come from a managed program include:
- Reduced Expenses — Expenses are reduced by stopping wasteful printing.
- Predictable Costs — A monthly fee covers all print costs. This avoids sudden, unexpected expenses from things such as a machine breakdown.
- Better Use of Staff Resources — IT staff is not wasting valuable time on printer or photocopier repairs.
- Increased Productivity — More efficient workflow is achieved by strategic equipment positioning.
- Longer Equipment Lifecycles — Proper maintenance extends the service life of the equipment.
- Training — The MPS provider does staff training.
- Automatic Supply Ordering — Monitoring of the system, allowing supplies to be ordered automatically before they run out.
If you’d like more information on our managed print services, contact Digital Office Products today.